What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Randi Rhodes gets suspended for one little kiss?

IMG_0126 Okay, so it wasn't our little public kiss that did it--it's even more bizarre! Randi Rhodes got suspended (indefinitely, but she may be back next week!) for comments she made at the event I attended here in SF.

She called Hillary Clinton a fucking whore. She also called Geraldine Ferraro one.

Shocking? No. Funny? Not really. But not being funny is NOT grounds for suspension. I understand that she was representing Air America at the time, but seriously folks, she was really representing herself. I went to see Randi, as did, I suspect, the rest of the adoring audience. Yeah, we like and respect Air America, but it's the larger-than-life persona we came out to meet. That night she was off the air and decided to be as bawdy as she wanted to be. That she had that side to her personality should have come as no big surprise to her regular listeners.

Come on! On the other hand, if I felt she was being sexist or racist or classist, or any of those other foul ists, well, that would be a different story. She wasn't. She was expressing her distaste for tactics and behaviors she finds disgusting. I pray they don't make her apologize on air. Please, no. There are too many real villians out there, spouting their venom ON AIR, who get a complete pass.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

You're write about the crap so many folks say and get away with. Although sometimes it bites them.

Charles Gramlich said...

Uhm, that's "right" about the crap

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.