What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Human sunspots

I’m writing in a cafe right now and it’s one I don’t often frequent. The barrista is one of those amazingly gregarious people who don’t meet strangers and launch into conversation at the drop of a hat. Shortly after I got down to work, a guy in a motorized wheelchair came in, and they chatted and laughed for about 10 minutes. The guy is now using his laptop…he’s wearing headphones and listening to something. From time-to-time, he looks at the screen, moving in so close that his nose pretty much makes contact with the screen.

Sigh.

Unfair, you know, but the technology does compensate on some levels. I played with some of the buried accessibility features of Windows once because my father was having trouble identifying the icons on his computer screen. There’s actually quite a bit there, which is nice.

Anyway, the barrista went into the back room, to recharge her battery no doubt. There need to be more people like that, who put their neck on the line to make others feel welcome and good.

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

You're right, there definitely need to be more such folks.

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.