What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Is organized religion the tool of the devil?

I asked myself that again, yesterday, as I walked past Civic Center. You see, yesterday was the first day that California began issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. I had forgotten all about it, but as I approached, a truck drove by with signs on all three sides blaring out such odious messages as “Make Sodomy Illegal Again” and the sort. The signs and photos on this truck were well-made and at some personal expense. For some reason, this was important to him.

There was a large crowd in front of Civic Center – some there to cheer on the couples as they exited, but most there to protest the decision to allow them to wed.

Part of me couldn’t believe this was going on. Right here. In San Francisco.

Fortunately, it was pretty cold yesterday (summer in SF don’t you know), which I believe, helped to keep the enthusiasm of the haters down to an ignorant murmur. Before I left, a black guy in the mass of unfortunates yelled at another: “How can you do that; black men are supposed to be strong?”

There were so many levels of wrong in that statement that it really boggled the mind. I hurried on to my bus stop before I said anything, or worse, got mistaken for one of the pinheads in the crowd.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I can't understand why anyone cares what someone else does with their life. As long as no one is hurting anyone what possible reason could a person have for trying to interfere with another individual's life? Crazy shit.

Clifford said...

Yeah, crazy shit indeed.

Anonymous said...

I say if a man/man or woman/woman want to marry let them. If we all lived by what organized religion wanted us to....we'd not be who we are today. Take the flaws we have and the benefits and weigh them beside each other. The answer is beneficial. Most of these people would rather be followers than leaders. I'd rather be a leader so I'm gonna make my own way in life. Besides....homosexuals marrying is good for the environment....hehe. http://crunchychicken.blogspot.com/2008/06/no-child-left-behind.html

Clifford said...

Minda,

Yep. That's the way it should be. Too bad anyone bothers to sample their crunchy hate wrapped around a soft, gooey center of religion? I have this theory that human beings NEED to be able to look down on others in order to feel good about themsleves...it's sad, but seems to be a genetic fault of the species...

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.