What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Monday, July 21, 2008

He doesn't look up from his pad

He sits across from me, thin, his hair a mass of silver laced dark curls. His demeanor is stiff, closed off from all around him, as he seems to have effectively shut out the world, the same one, I suspect, he attempts to capture on his drawing pad with pens of black, red, and blue.

A little girl, maybe two, in the "Hello" stage of her development, wanders into his periphery and for a moment he is snapped out of his world and back into ours. His head snaps up.

"Can you take care of you kid?" he asks the child's mother, brusquely.

I look up and realize she is in my space, not his. She says "Hello" to me, wiggling gleefully in place. She makes me laugh. She is innocence and promise and sweetness all rolled up in Pampers. Her mother comes to get her and I tell her that her daughter is a cutie. The artist doesn't seem to notice. He is back in his world of pens and cross hatched lines and he has shut us out of his world once again.

5 comments:

Reading Wolf said...

Well that was kinda mean of him. BIG MEANY!

Charles Gramlich said...

If he doesn't want to have kids wandering around him then why isn't he at home?

Carlos Ferrao said...

They should keep them kids on a leash!!!

Anonymous said...

lovely vignette. i see it in kalaidescopic sepia. neat.

archiwiz said...

That was a beautiful narrative. I doubt that guy's creativity is the "Happy" type.

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.