What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Friday, July 25, 2008

Hey, is that Kevin Bacon?

I’ve been using Twitter for a few weeks now, and it’s time to assess this internet phenom. Hmm.

At first I was skeptical. Actually, more than skeptical as I thought, oh my god, who in their right mind would install this on their cell phone (okay, if I was a teen, yeah, but other than that?). So I didn’t hook up the cell phone, but found a sidebar gadget that I added to Vista. Hmm.

And then I realized that maybe 10 percent of the time, it didn’t work. Dropped messages. No updates. Etc. Hmm.

And then folks started showing up in a Kevin Bacon, 6 Degrees sort of way. And I was given the option of following them, and checking out their web sites. And I did. By the end of the second week, more and more people began showing up And for the most part, those people are very interesting folks. But I worried that my Twitter sidebar gadget would be going off nonstop (it tweets when a new message arrives), but it’s not. Most people, it seems, have these little bursts of activity and then go fallow, reading, I suspect, rather than writing. So it’s definitely not the overbearing annoyance I thought it would become.

In fact, it’s kinda nice.

I wish I had time to explore all of the folks who’ve found their way to my twit id, but I haven’t been able to. That said, I do try to check out their site when they first begin following me, and in virtually all cases, it’s been fascinating…

Hmm…

1 comment:

Sidney said...

I kind of like Twitter, not sure if people ave noticed it much where I put it on my blog, but it's cool to be able to send microbursts.

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.