What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

$38.95 for a danish

Blueberry Okay, this morning I stopped at The Better Bagel on Geary Street to get a blueberry danish. I was lucky because there was a parking spot right in front. I didn’t have any change for the meter though, so I just went in to see if they had the danish. Here’s the rub – they only make ONE blueberry danish per day, so it’s a crap shoot. I kid you not – are we talking OUTRAGEOUS or what? Anyway, the clerk knows me now, and when she saw me she went for it. I saw it first this time, and I stupidly yelled out, “Blueberry, Blueberry!”, and I was like salivating (oh yeah, they’re that good) and pointing like Donald Sutherland at the end of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

So as she was warming the danish and I was pouring myself a cup of Hazlenut Cream coffee,  a meter maid (is that sexist?) pulled up behind my car. When I saw her, I hurried out, hoping it wasn’t too late. Of course it was too late. She was working on the ticket and explained that she couldn’t stop it. I mumbled excuses about no change and the joy of blueberry danishes and I don’t know what else to which she replied, in that unemotional meter maid drone, that I should keep some change in my glove compartment. Sigh. Resigned, I told her that I understood as she handed me the ticket.

As she headed back to her meter maid mobile, she says over her shoulder, “you’re a kind man.”

Hmm. I got into my car, pulled out of the lot, and then reached for the danish as I merged with traffic. I bit into the warm blueberry goo and all was right in the world again.

UPDATE: The picture was provided by my buddy Thomas! Love it!

2 comments:

Reading Wolf said...

Awww. Sorry you got a parking ticket. But she's right...most people would cuss like a sailor toward her....you didn't. That makes you kind.

Clifford said...

Thanks. Totally get what a hard job she has...but man, that danish was almost worth it!

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.