What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Monday, April 20, 2009

I don’t know what love is…

…but I know what it’s not. It’s not love unless it’s returned. When it is, it becomes something else, something solid that you can hold on to.

I tried to tell this to a co-worker in so many words. But his girlfriend broke up with him about a month ago. She’s seeing someone else. He’s hurting.

Telling him he’ll get over it is like telling a recent amputee that they didn’t really need that other leg, they’ll adjust. Wasted breath.

But still, I try. He’s 21, going through it for the first time I believe, and he’s hurting. For him, love is still what they depict in movies, by actors on their third and fourth marriages.

I hate to see people hurt. But this is not love he’s feeling, not really, more infatuation. In the end, I guess it feels the same.

Hope he finds another infatuation soon.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.