What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Novel Written on a TPC!

Wired Magazine has a short interview with science fiction writer, Richard Powers, on his new novel, The Echo Maker. The following is from the interview:

You wrote most of The Echo Maker on a tablet PC running voice recognition software. How did you arrive at that method of composition?

I've always wanted the freedom to be completely disembodied when I'm writing, to feel as if I'm in a pure compositional state. Typing is a highly unnatural activity, and your writing style ends up reflecting the cognitive shackles. When I started to use the tablet, things that are extremely difficult to do on a word processor opened up to me. I could also make drawings to see what a character looked like, and these sketches would be integrated into my research. Part of the mystery of The Echo Maker hinges upon what happened on a certain stretch of road on the night of the accident. I figured that out visually by drawing the scene over and over and seeing how all the elements moved in relationship to one another.

Hmm… I may have to check it out. I totally agree with him about how TPCs open up and allow you to do things that other computers tend to block. I've been planning to blog on doodling and the creative process…

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.