What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Paperless Boy

I'm on my way to becoming totally paperless. Tablet-love will do that, as the more you use the tablet feature (as I am now, even though my scrawl is being converted to text, I'm inking it), well, the more you use your tablet.

Point in case -- the other day I was planning a short writing vacation. A train trip where I'd ride the train to Seattle (writing all the way), spend a day sight-seeing and hanging out in cafes, then spend a day in the rainforest doing research for my novel, then back on the train to write some more.

In the past, I would have inelegantly scrawled my planning notes on the back of an envelope. Not anymore. tablet PC to the rescue:

trip notes

Okay it looks about like the back of that envelope! The major difference? Aside from the obvious paper savings, I won't lose these notes 12 minutes after I take them. And they're searchable! And I can easily erase, copy, paste, and post them to the Web. Gotta love it!

3 comments:

Sidney said...

Man, that sounds like a great trip. I write very little on paper these days, except for the occasional scribble on a pad beside my computer but somehow I always have tons of paper anyway.

Charles Gramlich said...

I agree with Sid about the trip. Sounds wonderful. You've got to give it a go and report back.

Clifford said...

Guys, the trip is on hold -- probably won't happen until late July/Early August. But if it works out, I plan to make it an annual event and try to rope a few friends in on it!

Up for next year?

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.