What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A penny for your rants?

I remember reading an article some time ago where the author predicted that pennies were no longer a viable bit of currency and we were soon to do away with them altogether. Hmm. Never happened, as the change on my coffee table can attest to. But it got me thinking…why stop there? Who really needs nickels, or dimes for that matter? Maybe the smallest denomination that makes any sense is the quarter. After all, what can you buy with a penny?

Or a nickel?

Or a dime?

I don’t even think there are many gumball machines left that take anything smaller than a quarter. Maybe the smallest denomination should have some parity with the price of goods. Maybe the cost of a 10-penny nail should be the guiding factor?

Switching to the quarter would work, and save the government (us) a hell of a lot of money in the process. Anything that still costs less than a quarter could be packed so that you have to buy two or more. It’s not like one gumball is ever enough anyway, right?

And while we’re at it, we could do away with that extra nine tenths of a cent for a gallon of gas!

Rant over. Now I’ll just go back to digging through the coins for that one more quarter I need to “finish” the laundry.

Don’t get me started on why disposable clothing makes sense…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

here in NZ, we changed all our money. Now, there is no 5 cent coin, our lowest is 10 cents (dime?)

Clifford said...

Ah, very smart, and yeah, it's a dime. Can you buy anything with a 10 cent coin?

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.