What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Music to make love to…

RLY Okay, the latest Ani DiFranco CD, Red Letter Year, has been out for a couple weeks or more. I’ve only had a chance to listen to it about three times so far, so it’s too early to review. What I can say is that it’s the happiest CD in her collection, the direct opposite of John Mellencamp’s disc. That said, happy is often difficult to pull off and if you’re not careful, it can become maudlin.

Is Ani in danger here?

The jury is still out on that one, but what I can say is that one of those songs, “Smiling Underneath” is destined to become one of my all time favorite Ani songs. It’s blitheringly cheerful, but in that creative, been-there sort of way that Ani is so good at. Yeah, though I began this post stating that it’s too early for a review, this song has already won me over.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Haven't heard these, I'm afraid. I'm way out of touch with any new music these days, until it's hard rock/heavy metal. Even then I'm behind.

syzygy13 said...

Sounds like I might want to check it out.

Clifford said...

Yeah guys, the Ani disk is good. Still listening and still liking...like all her CDs, they grow on you from listen to listen. She manages two songs about her baby, and neither is sappy or maudlin, expecially Present/Infant which is pretty damn clever.

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.