What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Redirect your attention inward

I re-started my meditation practice on Monday. I never finished the 8-week program I’d embarked on – made it about four weeks in and then, blamo!, something got in the way. So on Monday, as I’ve said, I restarted it. And wow, today was definitely like day one again. My mind kept wandering during the 8 minute meditation, so I kept having to reign it back in. It’s okay, it’s all part of the practice, but really, I’d gotten much better at shutting the little magpie up! It felt like all the progress I’d made the first go round was lost to me. Sigh. I should have never lapsed. Hopefully, by week’s end, I’ll have regained some lost ground.

Being able to calm myself and shut down the mental chatter is important to me. Anything else is just window dressing.

2 comments:

gardenlore said...

thanks for reminding me about this. i didn't make much progress myself. seems like a good time to get back on track.

Clifford said...

Hey there...go for it! Maybe we can goad each other along this time...

I've been doing it 2 to 3 times a day, kinda like pennance for having slipped from the golden path...still, three days in, expereinced maybe the tiniest bit of progress.

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.