What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Uber Groovy Site!

A friend, novelist Sidney Williams, sent me a link to The Groovy Age of Horror: '60s/'70s horror in paperbacks, fumetti, Groschenromane, comics, and movies. This site is, in a word, magnificent. The author, Curt Purcell, not only has his finger on all things groovy and horrific from that era, but he's also a damn fine writer. In addition to his site, he's posted the prolog and first chapter from his novel and it's definitely worth a read.

From my perspective, the 70s was a watershed decade for the horror genre—a little sixties sensationalism topped with an earnest desire to take us someplace new led to some serious good stuff, much of which has been bastardized in a series of wrong-headed remakes and weak revivals.

The site is layered, so spend some quality time there. You won't regret it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.