What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A visit from a friend

Last Thursday a friend arrived. We’d planned the visit for quite a while, and we arranged it so that he would be able to attend a Writers with Drinks event during his stay. So he arrived and I tried hard to play it by ear and not bombard him with things to do, to just let the vacation ebb and flow…

And I’ll be damned if that’s not what happened.

Oh yeah, I had my fears. I thought that I would worry about not making his visit special…not showing him every nook and cranny of my place. Yeah, we went to The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum and walked to the Ferry Building and did assorted other “things”, but there was this feeling that if we lagged too long over coffee or stayed up too late and slept the morning away, it didn’t really matter.

Four pressure-free days. That’s what I needed, bad. That’s what he needed, bad. And that’s what we got.

Now, slipping back into things billed as normal is a bit hard, but this vacation prepared me for it better than most.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Unscheduled breaks are the best.

syzygy13 said...

Sweeet! That's awesome. An actual vacation, for you both. Yay. ;)

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.