What I hear

Creative Writing on a Tablet PC


Twitter: What I'm doing now.

Monday, February 16, 2009

I Dream in 3-D

I’m in the midst of reading an article in PC Magazine on the upcoming format wars for 3-D in the home – tvs, projectors, cameras, etc. I’m like so excited I’m lactating. Or something like that.

Anyway, from the article, I pulled this juicy paragraph:

Three-dimensional anything has always looked cheesy, but that wasn't the case when I recently saw the very gory My Bloody Valentine 3D, which was shot using RealD technology and screened using a single high-res digital projector. There were pickaxes coming at you, blood splattering on your 3D glasses—I was in horror heaven! The 3D glasses handed out for the film were made of a durable plastic with polarized lenses. The polarized lenses allow each eye to see its own picture, even if you tilt your head; older 3D film methods used two projectors, and the anaglyphic (red/blue) glasses caused you to see double imaging if your head was tilted to the side.

You see, I told you you should see this baby! Go see it now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate horror remakes. I hated the remakes of Halloween, The Haunting, The Omen, The Fog, Thirteen Ghosts. Some better than others, but all unnecessary.

I like the original My Bloody Valentine, so I may not see this one.

Cliff, you said you hate literary sequels where authors use other authors' characters instead of creating their own. So why support horror film remakes?

Clifford said...

Heh. Good point.

I have to admit, I didn’t see the original. Passed on it because it seemed like crap, so I didn’t have anything to compare it to. Also, this one is done in 3-D, and seemed to have an adequate budget. I’m thinking the original, which appeared to be one of the many holiday-themed movies to crop up in the wake of Halloween's success, didn’t.

I’m putting my neck out on this one, but I’m gonna wager that this is one of the rare remakes that equals or bests the original. Like Carpenter’s The Thing or Kaufman’s Invasion of the Body Snatchers, sometimes, lightning does strike twice.

And finally, it's all about the 3-D and the excessive, nearly gleeful violence in this film. The story, while serviceable,might not have gotten the nod from me without the 3-D.

Go see it, if you can, and let me know what you thought!

About Me

My photo
This is me and one of my two cats. His name is Cougar, and he’s an F1 Chausie. A chausie is a new breed of cat under development. Chausies are the result of a cross between a domestic cat (in Cougar’s case, a Bengal) and a jungle cat (Felis Chaus). Cougar’s mom is 8 pounds and his father is a 30-pound jungle cat. He’s about 16 pounds, super intelligent, spirited, and toilet trained. A writer without a cat (or two) is not to be trusted.